Kandala Laxman, B. Pradeep K. Reddy, Sumit K. Mishra, Andrea Robinson, Abhijit De, Rohit Srivastava, Mangalampalli Ravikanth
|Published||NPG Asia Materials|
Photothermal therapy (PTT) has attracted great interest in cancer treatment, and the quest for potential organic photothermal agents is underway owing to the nonbiodegradable nature and chronic toxicity of existing inorganic nanomaterials. Organic material-based nanoformulations with good photothermal and fluorescence properties in the near-infrared (NIR-I) window are scarce. However, porphyrins are one category of biocompatible systems that are advantageous for photothermal therapy but are currently based in the visible region, causing limited depth of tissue penetration and leading to compromised photothermal and near-infrared fluorescence (NIRF) imaging applications. To overcome these limitations, we report the synthesis of L,L-diphenylalanine conjugated BF2-oxasmaragdyrin (FF-BSC) and the fabrication of monodispersed spherical self-assemblies (FF-BSC NPs) using a USP class 3 solvent-water mixture. The resulting product exhibited excellent photostability (NIR exposure), multicycle photothermal efficacy, and NIR fluorescence. In vitro studies revealed good biocompatibility, efficient cellular internalization, and photothermal efficacy. Preclinical studies of these nano-self-assemblies demonstrated nontoxicity, efficient whole-body NIRF imaging, fractional passive tumor homing, and excellent photothermal tumor ablation potential. The absorbance and fluorescence of FF-BSC NPs in NIR-I make them suitable for theragnostic applications over existing porphyrins/ inorganic nanomaterials for future clinical applications.
K. Laxman, B. P. K. Reddy, S. K. Mishra, A. Robinson, A. De, R. Srivastava, M. Ravikanth, “Bioinspired carrier-free peptide conjugated BF2-oxasmaragdyrin dye-based nano self-assemblies: a photostable NIR cancer theragnostic agent”, NPG Asia Materials, 2020, 12(1).
Biomedical materials, Nanoparticles
- Minimizing Mitogenic Potency of Insulin Analogues Through Modification of a Disulfide Bond
- Toward the stereoselective synthesis of zaragozic acid framework: A desilylation-aldol reaction approach
- [18 F]Ethenesulfonyl Fluoride as a Practical Radiofluoride Relay Reagent
- Bioinspired carrier-free peptide conjugated BF2-oxasmaragdyrin dye-based nano self-assemblies: a photostable NIR cancer theragnostic agent
- Design, Development, In Vitro and Preliminary In Vivo Evaluation of a Novel Photo-Angioplasty Device: Lumi-Solve
- BF2-Oxasmaragdyrin Nanoparticles: A Non-toxic, Photostable, Enhanced Non-radiative Decay-Assisted Efficient Photothermal Cancer Theragnostic Agent
- Synthesis and Studies of Glucosamine Conjugated BF2 -Oxasmaragdyrin
- Cell-Penetrating Peptide-Conjugated BF 2 -Oxasmaragdyrins as NIRF Imaging and Photothermal Agents”