HongBin Liu, Gopal R. Sama, Andrea Robinson, Simon Mountford, Philip E. Thompson, Andrew Rodda, John Forsythe, Patrick J. Mornane, Paul Pasic, Helmut Thissen, Melissa Byrne, David M. Kaye & Anthony E. Dear
|Published||Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology|
Paclitaxel (PTX)-coated drug eluting balloon catheters (DEBc) used in the management of neointimal hyperplasia (NIH) have been associated with safety concerns. Alternative coating agents and targeted delivery systems may improve safety and DEBc efficacy. Utilizing a multi-platform approach we designed, developed and evaluated Lumi-Solve, a novel DEBc, coated with ultraviolet (UV) 365 nm-activated caged metacept-3 (c-MCT-3), an epigenetic agent from the histone deacetylase inhibitor (HDACi) class.
In vitro catheter and contrast media transmission of UV365nm was evaluated spectroscopically. UV365nm conversion of c-MCT-3 to MCT-3 was evaluated chromatographically. Cellular toxicity and HDACi activity of c-MCT-3 ∓UV365nm was evaluated in vitro. In vivo UV365nm conversion of c-MCT-3 to MCT-3 was evaluated in an ovine carotid artery model.
Catheter material and dilute contrast media did not attenuate UV365nm transmission or c-MCT-3 activation. c-MCT-3 demonstrated less cellular toxicity than MCT-3 and PTX. UV365nm-activated c-MCT-3 demonstrated HDACi activity. In vivo activation of c-MCT-3 produced MCT-3.
Lumi-Solve, a novel DEBc device developed utilizing a combination of chemical, fibre-optic and catheter based technology platforms, demonstrated potential for targeted delivery of bioactive HDACi to the blood vessel wall supporting direct application to the management of NIH and warranting additional in vivo studies.
Liu, H., Sama, G.R., Robinson, A. et al. Design, Development, In Vitro and Preliminary In Vivo Evaluation of a Novel Photo-Angioplasty Device: Lumi–Solve. Cardiovasc Eng Tech(2021).
Drug eluting balloon catheter, Photo-angioplasty Neointimal hyperplasia, Epigenetics
- Minimizing Mitogenic Potency of Insulin Analogues Through Modification of a Disulfide Bond
- Toward the stereoselective synthesis of zaragozic acid framework: A desilylation-aldol reaction approach
- [18 F]Ethenesulfonyl Fluoride as a Practical Radiofluoride Relay Reagent
- Bioinspired carrier-free peptide conjugated BF2-oxasmaragdyrin dye-based nano self-assemblies: a photostable NIR cancer theragnostic agent
- Design, Development, In Vitro and Preliminary In Vivo Evaluation of a Novel Photo-Angioplasty Device: Lumi-Solve
- BF2-Oxasmaragdyrin Nanoparticles: A Non-toxic, Photostable, Enhanced Non-radiative Decay-Assisted Efficient Photothermal Cancer Theragnostic Agent
- Synthesis and Studies of Glucosamine Conjugated BF2 -Oxasmaragdyrin
- Cell-Penetrating Peptide-Conjugated BF 2 -Oxasmaragdyrins as NIRF Imaging and Photothermal Agents”